Eye-Fi X2: July 2017 update (aka "Eye-Fi X2 card registration failed")
Eye-Fi X2 card and the Eye-Fi X2 UtilityJuly 2017 update - Registration Server is dead! Cards in use can still function. It will fail if you buy a new X2 card. Moving to Windows 10 will likely fail on Wifi login./
I discovered a file on the Mac that may be useful. I don't have a card anymore so I can't test it.
- In the Finder press CMD+SHIFT+G or Menubar Go > Go to Folder..
- Copy and paste ~/.python-eggs/eyefi-0.2-py2.7.egg-tmp/conf/base.conf
- Right-click on the base.conf and choose "Open with..." > Other, choose TextEdit
- In this file you might be able edit "active=" to true/yes or enter a valid "uploadkey ="
- Good luck!
EYE-FI IS DEAD, UNLESS YOU ALREADY REGISTERED
I bought this card specifically to be able to copy photos directly from the camera to a computer over wifi automatically, so I don't have to connect the USB and manually transfer the photos. The Eye-Fi X2 card using the Eye-Fi X2 Utility is only able to transfer to a computer folder, which is exactly what I need. It's an automatic one-way sync from from the camera to the computer.
Eye-Fi X2 Utility
Created by Eye-Fi in September 2016, after they were bought out by Keenai. This utility was only available from x2migration.eyefi.com. The domain, eyeif.com, appears to be down permanently.
MY EYE-FI X2 TIMELINE
- July 13, 2017
- X2 card arrives.
- Find Eye-Fi X2 Utility for Windows. Able to activate on one PC.
- July 18, 2017:
- Activation error. Open Eye-Fi X2 Utility > Add an Eye-Fi card > Activate Eye-Fi X2 Card > "The Eye-Fi X2 card registration failed".
- On the original PC, photo transfer works. Then I inserted the card into SD card reader and the X2 Utility sees it. Then I remove the card using the Eye-Fi X2 Utility (Taskbar > Notifications > Eye-Fi > Options > Delete card.) When I try to reconnect, it won't work, same activation error. Odd!
- July 19, 2017:
- I keep confirming that it won't activate on multiple PCs after uninstalling, reinstalling, and reformatting the card.
- All I see when I put the SD card into the SD Card reader and launch Eye-Fi is "The Eye-Fi X2 card registration failed".
- July 20, 2017:
- I have the Eye-Fi upload key and I can connect to the card's wifi on Windows 7.
- When I move the card to Windows 10, updating the settings with my "load key", I am unable to log in to the cards wifi. The password that worked on Win7 won't work on Win 10. Could be the type of encryption that Win10 is enforcing, but I couldn't figure what to change to make it work.
Getting support is not possible. Eye-Fi shut down and they stopped doing any related to the Eye-Fi X2 in early 2017. A support forum is at x2migration.zendesk.com, but there is no way to create a new account. If you find one, lmk.
- X2MIGRATION.ZENDESK.COM ARTICLES (via google cache)
- Eye-Fi X2 Utility - Windows
- Eye-Fi X2 Utility - Mac
- Eye-Fi Center - Windows
- Eye-Fi Center - Mac: (Found a link on the wayback machine!)
- fredmiranda.com - scroll down for good summary of using X2 card after shutdown
GETTING THE EYE-FI UPLOAD KEYGet a little crazy and build your own server. This may resolve the current situation. I haven't set this up yet. Here is the link: https://github.com/dgrant/eyefiserver2.
- Mac: Manually retrieve your upload key from your Settings.xml file --> On open Finder, hold down ALT, and click the Go menu -> Library. Keep holding ALT (or SHIFT) until you clicked on Library. Inside the Library folder, find the Eye-Fi folder -> the Settings.xml file is in here.
- Windows: Manually retrieve your upload key from your Settings.xml file --> On , the location is C:\Users\[user]\AppData\Roaming\Eye-Fi\Settings.xml – where [user] – is your current login name.
- Code inside "Settings.Xml file"
- <Card MacAddress="xx-xx-xx-xx-xx-xx">
- (this is just a sample, will not work for you)
- Key is on card's firmware, no way to retrieve it without reg server)
- X2 Pro Upload Key: for older X2 Utility
- Mobi Pro Upload Key: : For new X2 Utility
EYE-FI SERVER 2
Update - I could not get this to install on Mac OS X 10.12. There is an issue with "twistd".